Acupuncture for Pregnancy
Treating Pregnancy Related Conditions
29th June 2019
Whittington Health NHS Trust, Outpatient Physiotherapy Department, Old Nurses Home, Whittington Hospital, Magdala Avenue, London, N19 5NF
23rd June 2019 -- You will be unable to book after this date!
This is a 10 hour CPD course. This consists of 7.5 hours contact time and 2.5 hours self study questions to be completed and included with your certificate to be valid.
Pregnancy is a time when acupuncture can offer a valid alternative or complement to bring relief from common pregnancy pain and discomforts where conventional medical treatments are often restricted or contraindicated.
This course will give all practitioners who have contact with this patient group the necessary knowledge, practical skills and confidence to safely treat pregnant women and the various pregnancy related discomforts that present in clinic.
It will draw on the tutor's experience as an ex midwife, pain team nurse and acupuncturist to equip the practitioner with the knowledge and skills necessary to conduct safe effective treatments for this patient group.
Following this course you will be able to: able to:
- Discuss guidelines for treating pregnant patients
- Understand protocols for treating musculoskeletal pain in pregnancy, including Back Pain, Pelvic Girdle Pain, Carpal Tunnel and Varicosities, overdue babies and cervical ripening
- Apply acupuncture techniques related to treating pregnancy discomforts including nausea and vomiting, varicosities, hyperemesis, headaches
- Understand the 'red flags' to treat pregnant women safely
- Discuss the considerations for needling pregnant women including positioning, comfort, checking mother and baby, dealing with abreactions and needle shock
- Know the contraindicated points in pregnancy and the rationale for avoiding their use
- Justify your treatment approaches for this patient group utilising current research
- Adjust point prescriptions to tailor to individual requirements of pregnant woman with back pain, pelvic girdle pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, nausea / hyperemesis, varicosities, overdue babies and headaches
- Locate and needle relevant acupoints confidently
- Utilise useful acupressure massage points
- Understand optimal foetal positioning and how to promote this through educating mothers
- Guidelines for treating in pregnancy
- Protocols and Techniques
- Red Flags and contraindications
- Acupressure massage techniques
- Optimal Foetal Positioning
This course is open to health professionals with previous acupuncture training and who have a significant level of anatomical and physiological knowledge.
£120.00 - AACP Members
£160.00 - Non AACP Members
Please log-in to access the members discount.
"Employer Paying" - Important Information
Before registering onto this course, please click on the below “Employer Paying Application"
for information on how to register your funding.
No "Employer Paying"
bookings will be accepted during the 30 days before the course start date.
All course bookings made within the 30 days must be paid in full at the time of registration.
For full terms and conditions, please click here
Employer Paying Application