Event Date(s): 21st September 2019
Tutor(s): Sudhir Daya
Price: £120 - £160
Location: Stepping Hill Hospital, Outpatient Therapies Department, Stockport, SK2 7JE
Closing Date: 15th September 2019 -- You will be unable to book after this date!
This one-day post foundation CPD course is designed to demonstrate how the western medical approach to acupuncture can be incorporated into the treatment of TMD. The course will consist of theoretical and practical components. Acupuncture and trigger points will be taught throughout the day and emphasis will be placed on the safe needling of relevant tissues. The updated layering method of clinical reasoning will be used as a basis of how to incorporate acupuncture into the management of TMD. There will only be a brief introduction to TMD and its holistic management. The focus will be biased towards the practical aspects of safe needling of relevant structures in TMD.
Aim: To educate physiotherapists and other appropriately qualified medical professionals to incorporate acupuncture in the treatment of temporomandibular disorders (TMD). The course will be run collaboratively with the Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Temporomandibular disorders (ACPTMD) to enhance the participant’s learning experience.
Learning outcomes: By the end of the course the participant will:
- Understand the anatomy of temporomandibular joint (TMJ)
- Understand the biomechanics of the TMJ
- Understand the basic pathology of temporomandibular disorders (TMD).
- Be able to palpate (intra and extra oral) relevant anatomical structures pertinent to TMD, including the upper cervical spine and key anterior neck structures.
- Review acupuncture meridians relevant to TMD
- Review the biopsychosocial model of health with regards to TMD.
- Review the layering method and clinical reasoning of applying acupuncture to TMD.
- Safely and competently needle structures relevant to TMD.
The course will NOT cover:
- Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) theory Manual therapy for TMD
- A detailed assessment of the TMJ and orofacial area (e.g. auscultation)
- A detailed TMD classification Electroacupuncture Headaches Participants interested in learning more about TMD are signposted the ACPTMD's courses (http://www.acptmd.co.uk).
- Current professional/statutory body registration (HCPC, GoSc, GMC etc.)
- Valid professional insurance for acupuncture
- Has successfully completed a recognised foundation/beginner course in acupuncture
- Currently uses acupuncture in clinical practice (fluent with needle handling)
- Consent and able to be needled on the course Relevant immunisation in place
- Have experience or exposure to working with the TMJ/orofacial area.
This course is open to health professionals with previous acupuncture training and who have a significant level of anatomical and physiological knowledge.
CPD Hours: 7
AACP Members: £120.00
Non AACP Members: £160.00
Please log-in to access the members discount.
"Employer Paying" - Important Information
- Before registering onto this course, please click on the below “Employer Paying Application" for information on how to register your funding.
- No "Employer Paying" bookings will be accepted during the 30 days before the course start date.
- All course bookings made within the 30 days must be paid in full at the time of registration.
For full terms and conditions, please click here.