Event Date(s): 21st September 2019
Tutor(s): Caroline McGuire
Price: £99 - £125
Location: Hobbs Rehabilitation, Unit 1 Bridgets Lane Farm Offices, Martyr Worthy, Winchester, SO21 1AR
Closing Date: 15th September 2019 -- You will be unable to book after this date!
This course aims to provide students with the background knowledge of how Western Medical Acupuncture (WMA) theory and research can be related to neurological conditions. It is aimed primarily at physiotherapists working in MSK clinics who may encounter neurological patients at times, to provide them with suggestions on how to treat common neurological symptoms and improve wellbeing. Specific groups of points and their actions will be considered along with the effects of myofascial pain and trigger points. There will be a practical element focussing on locating, palpating and needling relevant acupuncture and trigger points.
Physiotherapists attending should be prepared and willing to participate in practical needling sessions. They must have completed basic acupuncture training and submit a consent form before attending the course.
- To Review current evidence for using acupuncture with neurological patients
- To consider the relevance of physiological effects of acupuncture on pain, inflammation and autonomic nervous system for patients with neurological conditions and their symptoms e.g. spasm, fatigue, pain, bowel and bladder functions
- To review useful acupuncture points, identify point locations and correct needling techniques To review pathophysiology of Myfascial Trigger Points (MTrPs) and relevance to patients with neurological conditions
- To gain experience in locating, palpating and needling common upper and lower limb MTrPS
Learning Outcomes: By the end of the day, students will be able to;
- Identify which neurlogical patients / symptoms may benefit from acupuncture
- Clincally reason the use of acupuncture for their neurological patient and determind which points would be relevant depending on symptoms presented
- Understand the relevance and how to find Myofascial Trigger points (MtrPS) which are impacting on the neurological patient Identify an appropriate treatment plan
- Correctly needle relevant acupuncture points and MTrPDs This course is open to health professionals with previous acupuncture training and who have a significant level of anatomical and physiological knowledge.
CPD Hours:8 Hours
AACP Members: £99.00
Non AACP Members: £125.00
Please log-in to access the members discount.
"Employer Paying" - Important Information
- Before registering onto this course, please click on the below “Employer Paying Application" for information on how to register your funding.
- No "Employer Paying" bookings will be accepted during the 30 days before the course start date.
- All course bookings made within the 30 days must be paid in full at the time of registration.
For full terms and conditions, please click here.